Today we spent the morning working and learning more about how they have helped these people who are part of the program and developed a coop. This project helps them afford to grow their own food. These families here have no land & therefore have limited options to support themselves. There is great accountability... they require someone from the family (mother,father, older son/daughter) to work the field 3x/week. They are allowed only up to 3 missed days or they are out of the program and will not reap any of the harvest planted. Aside from the blisters on my hands, the hour of cultivating & digging up new field was SO hard. I had to take several breaks and was parched even with the water we brought. These women had been there 4 hrs plowing with a hoe with no water! Despite being tiny, these Rwandan women are strong & resilient. Kirsten did amazing... I had to stop a lot more times than she did and referred to the plowing as "fun"... I beg to differ😟

![]() |
| Cabbage will be ready in another month.... |
![]() |
| A rest....finally....but they bring no water to drink?!?! |
![]() |
| Couldn't believe how this women could walk uphill with a water jug & baby on her back |
![]() |
| That water jug is full!!! |
![]() |
| Walking 1km uphill after intense physical labour.....I was out of breath & I wasn't carrying a hoe!!! |







No comments:
Post a Comment